Terms and conditions for car rental in Costa Rica
SL1 RENTAL CR
Before leasing a motorcycle in Costa Rica, consider the following vehicle leasing regulations.
- Minimum age to lease a motorcycle: In Costa Rica the minimum age to lease and to drive a vehicle is 18 years of age, also 1 year of experience is required, that is 1 year after the acquisition of the driver’s license. Vehicles with limited availability or under confirmation: SL1 Rental CR offers the brand and the model of the selected motorcycle in the specified location and for a determined amount of time; however, there is a possibility that due to the low availability of some specific models of motorcycles, we might not be able to offer these at the moment of reservation. For the vehicles with limited availability, you will receive an email confirmation within the next 3 business days after your reservation. If the desired brand and model cannot be offered, SL1 Rental CR will provide an alternative motorcycle similar to the one requested, as long as the customer accepts it. In case of disconformity from the customer’s side, the reservation will be canceled without any charge.
- Vehicle use conditions: The use of the motorcycle is prohibited under the following circumstances:
- a) Driving under alcohol consumption, driving on unpaved roads, and driving during not specified competitions.
- b) Driving under drug consumption or any other substances that may affect the concentration, as well as driving recklessly.
- c) Allowing driving to other people who have not been previously authorized on the lease contract, who are not capable of driving, who do not have a valid driver’s license, or who are not in good condition to drive.
- d) Pawn or sell the motorcycle in its entirety or by parts, its equipment, its accessories, and its documentation, in any way that attempts against the right of ownership of the lessor or any other right that the lessor may possess under the motorcycle.
- e) Use the motorcycle without the additional devices required by law, such as a reflective vest and helmet.
- Documents: The lessee and the additional drivers should provide a valid driver’s license, an identification number, or a passport. Also, the credit card holder (owner of the credit card) must sign the leasing contract and other documents.
- Driver license from other countries: Driver licenses issued in other countries are accepted by our company, likewise Certificates or International licenses.
- Deposit of guarantee/ Escrow: In Costa Rica, all the companies that lease vehicles require a deposit to cover the deductible imposed on the insurance policies, or to cover certain optional protections offered by the company that provides the leasing service. Also, this is used to cover any violation of the terms and conditions of the vehicle leasing contract and also to cover fines charged due to violations of traffic laws in Costa Rica. The amount of the deposit is usually USD 500.00, the process to reverse the deposit to the customer initiates once the leasing period ends.
- Credit card: A credit card with a high credit limit is required to lease. The credit card must have the name of the lessee, when leasing a deposit of USD 500.00 will be charged first. SL1 Rental CR accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Cash and credit cards are accepted to process payments for the motorcycle leasing service; debit cards or cash are not accepted to cover the deposit.
- Payment options: The customer must provide a credit card at the moment of leasing. The amount for the leasing services must be paid at the beginning whether with cash, with a credit card, or with a debit card from the lessee or any of the additional drivers. But if express service is required to another location different from our office, the company requires notification 24 hours before the leasing starting date. During high season (November-April) these payment options may vary, but a notification will be sent in advance in regards to any special requirements.
- Insurance and optional rental coverage: TPL insurance (Third-party Liability) is mandatory, and covers 80% of damages caused to third-party properties in Costa Rica. Optional coverage such as Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) covers collision damage and vehicle rollover. Robbery, Vandalism, Physical damage responsibility is available, or all-inclusive coverage in case of motorcycle or car collision.
- Important: In general there is no possibility to obtain a so-called “all-risk insurance” for leased motorcycles. Acquiring the Collision Deductible Reducer coverage lowers the bail, it but doesn’t reduce it completely.
- Value Added Tax (VAT): Costa Rica’s tax laws don’t impose sales taxes on leasing/renting vehicles “per se”; however, the industry itself is taxed by the Tax Ministry and by the local governments. Payments for damages, traffic fines, spare parts, accessories, and other services are taxed with VAT and other local taxes, this must be covered by the client in the case of paying for any of the mentioned items.
- Delivery service – Delivery and Reception: – Delivery Service – Delivery and Receipt: SL1 Rental CR offers home delivery throughout the country. Depending on the distance, there may be an extra cost, which will be informed to the client when making the request. Sometimes, if the distance justifies it, we may offer delivery as a courtesy. You must check with us beforehand to obtain accurate information.
- Road assistance: Our company provides on-the-road assistance to help our customers in the event of an accident or a mechanical problem.
- Additional drivers: At the time of leasing the motorcycle, the lessee may authorize in the contract an additional driver to drive the leased motorcycle; the additional driver must be at least 19 years of age (or older) and must possess a valid driver’s license with at least one year since its issuance, at no additional charge.
- Fuel (super petrol): The motorcycles must be returned with the same amount of gasoline when they are picked up. When returning the motorcycle if an amount is missing of fuel, it can get paid with cash.
- Extension and Reduction of the Leasing Periods: If you wish to extend the return date of the vehicle, i.e. rent the vehicle for more days, you must inform the lessor days in advance. SL1 Rental CR cannot guarantee the availability of the same car or motorcycle as it may be previously reserved, in the case of unavailability, you will be provided with an alternative to resolve the request. Neither can a fixed price be guaranteed after the rental period. This means that the price may vary.
- If you want to return the vehicle before the period ends, SL1 Rental CR will not reimburse the remaining unused paid days, consult with your local lessor.
- Restrictions: Based on restrictions and regulations from the Insurance Companies the vehicles are not authorized to leave Costa Rican territory.
- Additionally, if the leased motorcycle is not returned within 24 hours after the due date on the contract, the lessor can alert the corresponding authorities.
- Complaints or claims: If you are not satisfied with the service provided by SL1 Rental CR do not hesitate to send a written notification to our Customer Service Department through email@example.com as soon as possible. Maps and routes of Costa Rica are available to our customers at the rental offices. In addition, upon request and subject to equipment availability, motorcycles and cars are equipped with a cell phone for domestic calls only, this device must also be returned at the end of the lease.